Therapist FinderSM

Advanced Search »

Independent Social Worker (LISW)

States license Social Workers within a multi-tiered system to reflect differences in education, training and work experience. An Independent Social Worker usually represents the higher-level license. It requires a Master's degree in social work, and 2000 to 3000 hours supervised work experience. An Independent Social Worker would also be expected to provide training and supervision to those holding lower-level licenses.

In general, Social Workers work with clients dealing with daily life issues, or work in an advocacy role for clients with social services agencies. In contrast to Professional Counselors, Social Workers tend to work more from the perspective of society and the surrounding environment, rather than focusing on an individual's personal motivations.

Equivalent titles in other states would include: Licensed Graduate Social Worker, Master Social Worker, Licensed Social Worker, Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Certified Social Worker - Clinical, and Licensed Advanced Social Worker.

An entry- level license usually requires a Bachelor's degree and 2000 to 3000 hours supervised work experience. Titles commonly used for this level are Bachelor Social Worker, Licensed Social Work Associate and Licensed Social Worker (some states use this as the high-level title).