Domestic Violence: An Overview
> What is Emotional Abuse?Emotional abuse is when an intimate partner has...
- continually criticized you, called you names or shouted at you
- insulted or driven away your friends or family
- humiliated you in private or public
- kept you from working, controlled your money or made all the decisions
- refused to work or to share money
- taken car keys or money from you
- regularly threatened to leave or told you to leave
- threatened to kidnap the children when the abuser was angry with you
- abused pets to hurt you
- manipulated you with lies and contradictions
What is Emotional Abuse?
What is Physical Abuse?
What is Sexual Abuse?
Domestic Violence Statistics: Prevalence and Trends
It's Hard to Stop because it's Hard to Report
Effects of Domestic Violence
Effects of Domestic Violence on Children and Teenagers
Help is Available!
Domestic Violence Shelters: What They Do
Nationwide Crisis and Hotline Directory
Domestic Violence References
Referring to this article:
"Domestic Violence: An Overview" was written by C. J. Newton, MA, Learning Specialist and published in the Find Counseling.com (formerly TherapistFinder.net) Mental Health Journal in February, 2001.
Use or reference to this article on the Internet must be accompanied by a link to the page you cite.